I know I’m very late with this one as this movie premiered in September 2015 (I think) but there is a very special reason why I’m now writing this blog. Before I make you emotional…let me make you laugh! Today I finally saw the movie “The Perfect Guy!” Sanaa Lathan, Michael Ealy, and Morris Chestnut all star in it. It was actually pretty good and not as predictable as I thought it would be. If you haven’t seen this movie, please do or this blog won’t make sense. Now for laughter…Here are the top 11 Ignorant But Possibly True Dating Rules I learned from “The Perfect Guy.”
11. NEVER TRUST A GUY WITH HAZEL GREEN EYES! Now I don’t have this down to a science but I try not to date guys who can sing nor guys with hazel green eyes! I’ve found that they are just fucking hard to leave! Something about those eyes that can captivate you even if he is fucking crazy! And forget about it…if he got hazel green eyes AND he can sang!😭 You will be dating mister pretty crazy for a while…that is…until you can escape…I mean get him out of your system! 😐
10. IF HE’S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE…HE PROBABLY IS…SECRETLY CRAZY AND DERANGED! I don’t think it’s a coincidence that I’ve dated TWO ugly and crazy guys when I was on the rebound from Julio and the Ex Factor! Crazy can almost smell out when a good woman has been burnt by a long term relationship! And Crazy don’t wait! He will tell you…you are the one and be quick to commit! Crazy will wine and dine your ass BEFORE unleashing the crazy! So when on the rebound from a long term relationship…take some time to heal or don’t try to date seriously! Just get your feet wet…knowing the odds you bumped into a crazy lunatic is great! Fuck him if you must…pop your pill and walk with condoms…but don’t let him know shit about you..like where you live nor work!
9. WE SEEK PERFECTION AFTER BEING HURT! I’m not sure if the universe played tricks on me but my ugly crazy rebound men knew…without me telling them…the love and attention I was missing from my long term loves. They would hold me longer and whisper sweet nothings in my love starved ears…and that’s how I fell in their trap…much like Sanaa did in this movie. Somehow after a breakup we automatically seem to know all the answers to our relationship issues and seek perfection from new people as a result of only focusing on what our now ex spouse could have done better! Sometimes…missing the fact that we dropped the ball in certain areas! If we don’t work on ourselves…we will attract the same mess or WORSE…than what we walked away from! 🙌🏽 I’ve heard this before…that all the answers are within us…all we have to do is seek them and do the work. There may be some truth to it. The time period after a breakup may just be the best time to do it. No one is ever perfect but someone out there is perfect for us!
8. STICK TO THE DEVIL YOU KNOW! Growing up, I have always heard this phrase but had no true understanding of it until I LIVED IT! Sanaa knew what the issues were in her relationship with Morris and walked! Soon she fully and openly embraced a new relationship with Michael in a way she never did with Morris…not knowing who the fuck Michael really was! 😳 Girl bye! Someone you don’t know…does not deserve all of you! Don’t be so quick to give! The evil you don’t know…you should fear! Now I know sometimes you can “know” a person for years and never really know them but if you just met last week…already a couple, had sex, and new guy is now meeting your parents and/or children…you better pump the breaks!
7. AT FIRST SIGN OF DANGER…RUN! The minute Sanaa saw Michael’s dangerous side…she ran! Got to give her that! When he exhibited violent behaviors toward others…she took note that he could easily hurt her! Sanaa did not entertain an abusive relationship! She was out as soon as she began to see Michael’s true colors! Look out for signs of abuse! A man that loves to beat up people (not in self defense) is a dangerous man.
6. NOT EVERYTHING THAT WE WALK AWAY FROM IS PERMANENTLY BROKEN! Sanaa walked away from Morris thinking all they had was broken…unfixable. Turns out…he was the love of her life. All they needed was time to step back, reassess, and start again. Sometimes we can only see things one way. Often times, if we take sometime to ourselves, regroup, and find better ways to communicate…we can start again…either with our current love or a new love in the future.
5. DARK CHOCOLATE MEN LOOK THE BEST IN SHOWER SCENES! Did y’all see the steam glisten down Morris’ body!😍 I just wanted to get that baby oil and rub it all over him! Yum!
4. NO ONE IS MORE INVESTED IN FIXING OUR LIVES THAN US! For some reason, I thought Morris was going to save Sanaa from Michael but NO! Turns out…the only person that could help Sanaa was Sanaa! And since she didn’t take self defense classes like JLo did in the movie “Enough”…I just didn’t see the ending coming. Anyways, Sanaa…I’m proud of you girl! You entertained a crazy but then you ended it and reclaimed your life! That’s what’s up! 🙌🏽 We should all inspire to do so. There won’t always be people there to rescue us and even if they really want to help…they may not be in a position to help!
3. WHEN STAYING AT YOUR PARENTS’ HOUSE WITH YOUR NEW BOO…THOU SHALL STAY IN SEPARATE BEDROOMS AND THERE SHALL BE NO SEX! When Sanaa took Michael to meet her parents (something she never did with Morris🙄) her mama was not having them sleeping in the same room! Now I don’t care if you are adults! Sanaa girl….there was no ring on your finger! Play your position and stay in a separate guest bedrooms! 🙌🏽
2. IF HIS MAMA DON’T WANT HIM…YOU BETTER DO YOUR RESEARCH AND MAKE SURE YOU REALLY WANT HIM! Now this one is kind of fucked up. Dating a man with abandonment issues, much like Michael’s character, is really hard scary work! There are exceptions to every rule but in my experience…when a man’s mother walked away from him…it leaves a devastating hole in his heart and life. Some men will be lucky enough to have other family members raise them with love but there are still deep wounds there that have a great chance of resurfacing in his romantic relationships! We are all broken in some ways but realize that this type of abandonment may put a huge weight on your relationship…leading to control and possibly other abusive ways.
1. I DO NOT DATE MEN NAMED MICHAEL! Almost every woman in my family has dated or married a Michael and it has lead to only destruction! Now yes Michael is a family name but um that’s another damn reason why I don’t date men named Michael! Who in the hell wants to yell out their family name in the heat of passion?! Not me!✌🏾~KJM dedicating today’s blog to one of my Angels…Michele Monique Johnson. “The Perfect Guy” trailer was the last post she made on Facebook in June 2015 shortly before she unexpectedly passed. I hope and pray I make her proud every day with the Kingston Expressions Empire💕Happy Throwback Thursday night! 2 more days left in 2016!🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽